“WHAT IS A GRANDPARENT?”
(taken from papers written by a class of 8-year-olds)
- Grandparents are a lady and a man who have no little children of their own but they like other people’s.
- A grandfather is a man and a grandmother is a lady!
- Grandparents don’t have to do anything except be there when we come to see them.
- Grandparents are so old they shouldn’t play hard or run but it is good if they drive us to the shops and give us money.
- Grandparents take us for walks and they slow down past things like pretty leaves and caterpillers.
- Grandparents show us things and talk to us about the color of the flowers and also why we shouldn’t step on the sidewalk “cracks.”
- Grandparents don’t say, “Hurry up.”
- Usually grandmothers are fat but not too fat to tie your shoes.
- Grandparents wear glasses and they can take their teeth and gums out.
- Grandparents always have time to answer our questions and they always know all the right answers to everything because they have lived a long time.
- When grandparents read to us, they don’t skip and they don’t mind if we ask for the same story over again.
- Grandparents know we should have snack-time before bedtime and they say prayers with us every time and kiss us even when we’ve acted bad.
- Everybody should try to have grandparents, especially if you don’t have television, because they are the only grown ups who like to spend time with us.